June 27, 2010

DB Chocolate Pavlovas with Michigan Strawberries

The June 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Dawn of Doable and Delicious. Dawn challenged the Daring Bakers’ to make Chocolate Pavlovas and Chocolate Mascarpone Mousse. The challenge recipe is based on a recipe from the book Chocolate Epiphany by Francois Payard

I dub these the pavlovas not meant to be.  One batch I over baked into rock hard pucks.  One batch I over mixed into flattened, rubbery pancakes.  And my final attempt today was the above lumpy, sad blobs.  With my final batch I did obtain the chewy/crispy contrast of a true pavlova with good chocolate flavor which went well with the fresh Michigan strawberries.  But without being artfully piped they resemble the dog bombs in the yard more than something delicious.  Oh well...I do enjoy whipping and playing with eggs and want to thank Dawn Nyman from Doable and Delicious for this month's challenge. 

Links:
-See the complete chocolate pavlova recipe at Dawn's site, Doable and Delicious.
-My other foray into pavlova making, Michigan berry sorbets in mini pavlovas.
-The whipped topping on the pavlova is Soyatoo.
-Visit the Daring Kitchen and see other pavlovas made this month by browsing the Daring Baker Blogroll.

And now for some new Penny pictures!!

The doll baby shot
She was so happy after getting her hand stuck in her sleeve and having a new texture to chew on.