March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patty's Day!

Green beer is off the menu for me today but I did enjoy a homemade dairy-free shamrock shake with my son Alex today. It's been many, many years since I've had the authentic Mikki D version but these tasted like the ones from my memory. We made them using Temptation home vegan 'Ice Cream' mix (with vanilla extract, peppermint extract and green food color) and Alex had the brilliant idea to add the chocolate chips.
Alex wasn't interested in this but I thought it was the best soda bread I've ever had and it was dairy-free as well. I used the recipe from Everybody Likes Sandwiches for Irish Soda Bread with Fennel and Cinnamon. Vanilla So Delicious Coconut milk yogurt, soy milk and Earth Balance margarine replaced the dairy ingredients. I then swapped in dried cherries for the raisins and cranberries since I do live in Traverse City now.

We've been soaking up all the sun, chasing Fritz the puppy around and it's 8:30pm and the sun hasn't completely set. Spring is on the way!

*Check out more St Patrick's day food at the parade at The Daily Spud.